The *No-Bake* Fridge Cake To Serve Up This Summer
Wimbledon fortnight has begun and while we’re excited for the ball play, our eyes are fixed firmly on the…er… strawbs. C’mon do you blame us? Strawberries and cream is the classic summertime combo to smash our sweet cravings – a total dessert winner.
So to celebrate strawberry love by the punnet load, here’s a recipe with maximum points for minimum effort – you don’t even need an oven. A cake you don’t have to bake? Pretty much our perfect match huh…
Strawberry and Sugared Almonds Fridge Cake
- Prep Time: 20 Min
- 4hr setting time
- Use a 20cm round cake tin
For the cake
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) whipping cream
- 300 g (10 1⁄2 oz) strawberries
- 300 g (10 1⁄2 oz) mascarpone
- 70 g (2 1⁄2 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 300 g (10 1⁄2 oz) cereal biscuits
For the topping
- 120 g (4 oz) strawberry jam
- 60 g (2 oz) sugared almonds, crushed
How to make
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Hull the strawberries and chop them into small pieces.
- Using an electric whisk or a food processor, whip the mascarpone and chilled cream together until thick.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar.
- Line the tin with cling film and spread a third of the cream in the bottom.
- Sprinkle with a third of the chopped strawberries and then cover with a third of the biscuits, ensuring that they don’t touch the sides.
- Repeat these layers twice more.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Turn the cake out onto a plate.
- Cover with strawberry jam and decorate with pieces of sugared almonds.
From Fridge Cakes by Jean-Luc Sady (Hardie Grant, £7.99) Photography © Isabelle Kanako
If you haven’t signed up to Pink Parcel yet, it’s time to start enjoying your period! Subscribe here and you’ll have everything you need (and want) sent directly to your door.