Cravings Corner: When You Want To Eat Salad
Well hello January. After a few weeks of devouring everything within reaching distance, who’s ready to eat a little lighter this month? And just because we’re turning to the salads, that doesn’t mean our plate can’t still be loaded with lovely stuff. See this steak salad, it’s packed with iron-rich goodness that’s great for fighting fatigue – especially when you’ve got your period – and tastes amazing too. Tuck in.
Iron-rich Steak Salad
– Serves 2
What you need
For the dressing
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 tablespoon crème fraîche
– 1 teaspoon horseradish sauce
– 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
– 1 teaspoon honey
– 1 teaspoon olive oil
For the marinade
– Handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– Juice and zest of 1⁄2 lemon
– 4 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
For the salad
– 2 x 250g rump steaks, ideally around 3cm thick
– 80g flat-leaf parsley, chopped
– 6 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
– 4 artichoke hearts, quartered
– 100g rocket
– 8 radishes, thinly sliced
– 70g feta cheese, crumbled
– 4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds (optional)
– 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
How to make
– First make the dressing by combining all the ingredients and shaking them together in a jar.
– Trim the harder fat off the steaks, brush them with oil and season both sides with a little salt.
– Heat a griddle or heavy-based pan and add the meat once hot. Cook for 4 minutes on each side. If you prefer your steak well done, then leave it for another 1-2 minutes on each side.
– Meanwhile, make the marinade. Whisk together all the ingredients in a dish big enough to accommodate the cooked steaks.
– Place the steaks in the marinade for 8 minutes, turning them halfway through. Then remove them to a board and slice them thinly on the diagonal.
– While the meat rests, combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour over three-quarters of the dressing and toss everything together.
– To serve, place the sliced steak on a bed of the salad and pour over the rest of the dressing. Scatter with toasted pine nuts, if you fancy.
Extracted from Happy Kitchen: Good Mood Food By Rachel Kelly With Alice Mackintosh. Photography by Laura Edwards.
If you haven’t signed up to Pink Parcel yet, it’s time to start enjoying your period! Subscribe here and you’ll have everything you need (and want) sent directly to your door.