Cravings Corner: For When You Want To Eat Toast
Everyone loves toast, it’s the ultimate snack food after all, but how adventurous do you get when spreading your bread? If the answer’s not at all, it’s time to try some new toppings – here’s two yummy ways to upgrade your toast.
Blue Cheese, Figs & Parma Ham
- Serves 4
- Takes 25 minutes
- 10 baby figs
- ½tsp demerara sugar
- 2tsp runny honey
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices rye bread
- 140g/5oz soft blue cheese, like St Agur or Roquefort, sliced
- 4 slices Parma ham
- 1tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/315°F/gas 4. Cut the figs in half through the stalk and place cut-side up onto a lipped baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Sprinkle over the sugar, drizzle with the honey and oil, and roast for 20 minutes, until juicy and sticky.
- Once the figs are ready, toast the bread then drizzle with some of the juices from the roasting tray.
- Top with the slices of blue cheese and Parma ham, then divide the figs between the toast.
- Drizzle over any remaining figgy juices and lastly the balsamic vinegar.
Courgettes, Chilli, Mint and Feta
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes
- 1 large or 2 small courgettes (zucchini)
- 1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Few good pinches chilli (hot pepper) flakes, plus extra to serve
- Small handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 slices pane pugliese or other rustic bread
- 140g/5oz feta, broken into large chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make
- Slice the courgette lengthways into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler or mandoline.
- Place in a bowl and toss through 1 tbsp of the oil, the chilli flakes, most of the mint, lemon zest and some seasoning. Set aside to soften for 5 minutes.
- Toast the bread and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Top with the courgette ribbons and crumble over the feta, then sprinkle over a little extra chilli and the remaining mint.
Extracted from Posh Toast (Quadrille, £12.99). Recipes by Emily Kydd. Photography: Louise Hagger
If you haven’t signed up to Pink Parcel yet, it’s time to start enjoying your period! Subscribe here and you’ll have everything you need (and want) sent directly to your door.